Man of Steel | Film Review

Image result for man of steel movie poster

Hey Guys x

So, today I watched 'Man of Steel'. I went into this with a lot of other people's negative reviews in my head. Because of this, I was very much determined to like it.

You may or may not know this but, I am a huge Marvel fan. I only started getting into DC movies this year but, thanks to seeing Man of Steel, I'm now completely up to date and anxiously awaiting  Wonder Woman. I hope to go and see it next week.

However, so far, I'm really liking what I'm seeing of DC.

That being said, let me get on with the review.

The story is about Clark Kent. It follows his birth, the way that he was sent from his home planet of Krypton to live on Earth with Martha and Johnathan Kent. It then goes on to show the ways that he's tried to disguise himself, to shield other people from knowing the truth about him or his powers. However, when he meets Lois Lane, who discovers his secret, things start to unravel. Especially when he finds out that someone from Krypton is trying to make a new civilisation on Earth - after getting rid of all the humans. Can Clark sacrifice himself and his home planet for the people on Earth?

Now, when I went on the Wikipedia for this film (which I do for most films I watch), there was a note above the plot. I'm paraphrasing, but it basically said: 'The scenes in the film happen in a weird order. We're going to write them as they appear chronologically'

And this was so true!

In so many points of the film I was just so confused. One minute we were on Krypton, the next on Earth with adult Clark, then back to Krypton, then back to Earth with 9 year old Clark, then with adult Clark, then with 13 year old Clark, it was a bit much to keep up with!

For example, in the first scene that showed adult Clark, I couldn't work out whether it was him or not! I've spent a lot of my free time looking at Henry Cavill's face (because it's a freaking work of art) so after a while I understood, but it definitely was not made clear!

Having said this, once the film stuck with one line of plot, I actually really enjoyed it. I was definitely comparing it to Smallville all the way through, and I thought that the plot, storyline and characters all made sense and worked.

Henry Cavill, Amy Adams and all the other actors and actresses in the film were great! They were all really believable, I think great casting choices were made, and I'm glad that the actors that portrayed the characters of Superman, Lois and Martha Kent were reprised in Batman V Superman, because it would have been a completely different film without them.

As someone who's somewhat of a superman novice, with the exception of four seasons of Smallville and BvS, I really was able to enjoy it and I fully understood everything that was happening, which I was obviously really pleased about!

I really really enjoyed the ending. Like, when the words 'Man of Steel' came up, I got chills, which is always a good feeling to have.

I would definitely recommend this film if superman or superheroes are your thing. If they're not, maybe watch some others before you watch this one, just so that there's less confusion!

Thank you for reading!

Comment below what you thought of Man of Steel!

Lou xx

Comments

Popular Posts

Wonka | Film Review

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List